Search

Advertisement

Connor Zilisch’s Indy 500 Ambitions Hit a Wall As Rick Hendrick Delivers Blunt Verdict

Advertisement
May 23, 2026; Concord, North Carolina, USA; Trackhouse Racing driver Connor Zilisch (88) during qualifying at Charlotte Motor Speedway. © Jim Dedmon-Imagn Images

Rick Hendrick gave a rather stern verdict on Connor Zilisch’s Indy 500 ambitions. The Hendrick Motorsports team owner stressed that he’d need ‘a lot of convincing’ to allow it.

Zilisch has been announced as the newest driver to join the HMS family, taking over Alex Bowman’s seat in 2028. The road course ace has his roots in karting, which still drives him to pursue open-wheel racing.

Nonetheless, Mr Hendrick isn’t so keen to relive another Indy-Charlotte double.

“I’m done with that, but I’ve learned to say never, say never, but it would take a lot of convincing for me to do that again,” he said via X/Bob Pockrass.

Zilisch chimed in, reiterating his commitment to NASCAR.

“It’s something down the road that I’ve always dreamed of,” said Zilisch, “But at the end of the day, I need to focus on what I’m doing on Sundays here before I really focus on stepping outside my comfort zone.”

Kyle Larson had two attempts on the Indy-Charlotte double, and both ended in disaster. A rained-out Coke 600 spoiled his first attempt, while he wrecked out in both races the following year. The reigning Cup champion has ruled out any future attempts as a result.

Connor Zilisch, on his part, competed in the Rolex 24 at Daytona this year, driving the No. 31 Whelen Cadillac for Action Express Racing and finishing second overall. He previously expressed interest in Formula 1 as well.

He’s currently going through a rough patch in the Cup Series. The rookie driver has recorded eight DNFs, the most of any driver on the grid. His only respite comes from a single top-10 finish at Sonoma.

Connor Zilisch reflects on ‘very tough’ separation from Trackhouse RacingMay 10, 2026; Watkins Glen, New York, USA; NASCAR Cup Series driver Connor Zilisch (88) races during the Go Bowling at The Glen at Watkins Glen International. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O’Haren-Imagn Images

Connor Zilisch landed a Trackhouse Racing Cup seat right out of his rookie O’Reilly season. Team owner Justin Marks fielded him in part-time starts before the full-time deal.

The No.88 driver shared his thoughts on parting ways with the team, saying,

“I’ve always been a loyalty guy and Justin has done so much for me, not only on track and the opportunities he’s given me, but also just being a friend of mine off the track and being a team owner and someone that I can lean on and go to for anything.”

“So yeah, it was very tough for me. But at the end of the day when Mr. Hendrick, Hendrick Motorsports, is an availability and a possibility to drive for their NASCAR team, it’s very hard to say no to that,” Zilisch added via X/Steven Taranto.

Trackhouse currently fields Shane van Gisbergen, Ross Chastain, and Connor Zilisch. Zilisch is the lowest-ranking driver among his teammates, sitting 34th with 257 points to his name.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. recently discussed the team’s driver contracts expiring in 2027. His producer, Travis Rockhold, argued that Justin Marks should’ve staggered his drivers’ contracts instead of having them all expire in the same year.

Earnhardt shot back and explained that a team owner wouldn’t concern themselves with such hypotheticals.

Read More:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Says He’d Be “Pretty Disappointed” if Josh Berry Is Left Without a Ride in 2027 NASCAR Season

Chase Elliott Refuses To Single Out Kyle Larson Amid Hendrick Motorsports Slump

College Sports Network has you covered with the latest news, analysis, insights, and trending stories in NASCAR, college football, men’s college basketball, women’s college basketball, and college baseball!

Advertisement

Comments (0)

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Comment