The Arizona Diamondbacks changed their mind.
After spending the last three days on the restricted list, Marte will be moved to the 10-day injured list, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reported Thursday, Aug. 20.
Marte was a no-show to Monday’s game in Boston, prompting confusion from fans and worry from within the team’s own clubhouse. He returned to Phoenix to get an MRI on his knee, days after he was removed from the Diamondbacks’ Aug. 14 game with left knee soreness. He sat out Saturday before returning to action Sunday.
MORE: Diamondbacks GM requests meeting with Ketel Marte
In the end, Marte served what amounted to a three-day paid suspension before being allowed to accrue salary and rehab his injury. MLB players on their team’s injured list are paid; players on the restricted list are not.
It’s another bizarre chapter in the saga of a three-time All-Star who has surprised teammates with his absence, prompting a second trip to the restricted list in the last two years.
MORE: Agent for Diamondbacks’ Ketel Marte clarifies conflicting reports of his location
Charisse Espinosa-Dash, Marte’s agent, told Jon Morosi of MLB Network that Marte is “currently managing a personal matter and will be undergoing an MRI on his knee (Thursday). Ketel appreciates the unwavering support from fans, teammates, the Diamondbacks organization, and Torey Lovullo during this time,” she said. “He remains optimistic about his recovery and looks forward to returning to the field to contribute to the team as soon as possible.”
According to Piecoro, Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen met with Marte earlier in the day, and expects Marte will rejoin the team once he’s healthy.
MORE: Ketel Marte’s former teammate: ‘Something serious is going on’ with D-backs star
The meeting with Hazen only happened after team president Derrick Hall went on a Phoenix radio station earlier in the day and publicly stated that Hazen requested to meet with Marte. At the time they were still waiting to meet.
The Diamondbacks’ willingness to pay Marte suggests they have accepted as valid the mysterious “personal reason” behind his sudden absence, and did not want to withhold his pay any longer.
Still, questions remain — namely, why he didn’t inform the team he couldn’t play Monday, rather than force their hand at the last minute. Marte might have answered that question in private with Hazen. He might never provide the reason for fans.
— Enjoy free coverage of the top news & trending stories with The Big Lead Newsletter —
Leave a Comment