Colorado has maintained tight restrictions on media access to practices throughout Deion Sanders’ time as head coach, allowing only limited exceptions during spring workouts and preseason camp.
However, the program’s latest decision to close practices appears to be connected to his son, Shilo Sanders, and the legal issue is expected to extend into the start of Colorado’s season, prompting a response from Judge Michael E. Romero.
Judge Raises Concern Over Deion Sanders’ Availability Before Colorado’s Season OpenerCoach Prime is expected to play a key role in the upcoming bankruptcy trial involving Shilo, who sought Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in 2023 while carrying more than $11 million in debt.
Coach Prime has reportedly been subpoenaed to testify at the plaintiff’s request, but it remains unclear whether he has officially been served, as no proof of service has appeared on the court docket.
The timing could create a major challenge for Colorado football. Shilo’s trial is scheduled to run from Aug. 31 through Sept. 4, overlapping with the Buffaloes’ 2026 season opener against Georgia Tech on Sept. 3.
After finishing 3-9 last season, Coach Prime’s squad is looking for a much-needed turnaround, but the legal proceedings now add another distraction heading into the new season.
During a pretrial conference, Judge Michael Romero acknowledged the scheduling conflict.
PREDICT THE CFB SEASON:PFN’s Free CFB Playoff Predictor
“I noticed Deion was subpoenaed,” Judge Romero said. “I’m also concerned there’s a game: CU’s first game is that same week. So I can see that coming. I am not a CU alum, and I have no ties to CU. So I don’t care. But I’m just recognizing that is a potential issue.”
The development also appears to explain Colorado’s unusual media restrictions during a recent open practice. “Last Men Standing” podcast host Tony Farmer and The Athletic’s David Ubben reported last week that the Buffaloes allowed fans and reporters to attend an open practice for the first time since Coach Prime took over.
However, attendees were prohibited from reporting on the session and were required to surrender their phones.
Colorado warned in an email that violating those rules could lead to removal from the facility, loss of media credentials, and restrictions on future access under the school’s media policies. Farmer later claimed his sources told him the decision was driven by “non-football reasons,” pointing to the backdrop of Shilo’s upcoming bankruptcy trial.
Farmer also claimed that his sources said the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office attempted to serve Coach Prime with the subpoena last week, but Colorado campus police allegedly prevented the service and directed officials to the Colorado HC’s attorney instead.
That led Farmer to question whether Colorado’s recent trip to Colorado Springs for team bonding was purely football-related or partly intended to avoid the situation.
As for Shilo’s case, he reportedly owes nearly all of his debt to former Dallas school security guard John Darjean, who alleged that Shilo assaulted him as he attempted to confiscate his phone at Coach Prime’s direction, leaving him with permanent injuries.
START PREPARING:PFN’s Free College Fantasy Simulator
After Shilo failed to appear in court, Darjean was awarded an $11.89 million default judgment. That debt can only be discharged if the court determines it did not result from a “willful and malicious injury.”
This article originally appeared on Pro Football Network.
Leave a Comment