The Mariners are officially ready to call up their top prospect for Saturday’s matchup, according to an undisclosed Associated Press (AP) source.
According to AP, 22-year-old Kade Anderson will make his debut against current National League wild card leader Chicago Cubs.
Anderson is number five on MLB’s top 100 prospects list, after excelling so far in the minor leagues.
He currently has a 1.06 ERA in his first year with the Arkansas Travelers, and he has also racked up 135 strikeouts.
Anderson’s record is sitting at 10-1 after 18 starts.
A whole lot of hard work led to one very special phone call 🥹📞
Kade Anderson is headed to Seattle! pic.twitter.com/0UZATYR9Oh
AP’s source did not confirm any roster moves (and the Mariners have yet to fully confirm the promotion), but the addition of another pitcher raises significant questions over who could be demoted or if the Mariners are creating a six-man rotation.
That being said, Anderson will not be a reliever.
Earlier this month, Mariners General Manager Jerry Dipoto confirmed to the Seattle Times that Anderson will start once called up.
“We’re not going to put Kade in the bullpen,” Dipoto said. “He’s the best starting pitcher in the minor leagues.”
The Mariners face the Cubs all weekend, starting tonight, Aug. 21 at 7:10 p.m., with Anderson’s possible debut slated for 4:15 p.m. tomorrow, Aug. 22.
Leave a Comment