The New York Yankees will not see Ryan McMahon on the field for at least a week longer, but manager Aaron Boone shared an optimistic statement on the injured outfielder.
McMahon was added to the injury list on Friday after being diagnosed with a Grade 2 sprain of his left thumb. McMahon offered hope that he could face the minimum after being added to the 10-day injured list, and Boone seemed to back that statement.
Aaron Boone Shares Hope for Ryan McMahon ReturnAs MLB.com reporter Bryan Hoch noted, McMahon was hurt while sliding into second base in the team’s win over the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday. McMahon said he was grateful that he would avoid surgery, saying he would be “hopefully just the minimum 10 days” before he could return to the field.
McMahon has been able to start rehab immediately, taking ground balls at third base during the team’s practice on Friday. Boone said he was encouraged by what he saw, though didn’t want to rush McMahon back to the field.
âI watched him hit today, and it was actually pretty good,â Boone said. âWe just felt like it probably wouldâve been a couple of more days, at least, and then maybe [McMahon would be] a little bit compromised. I would expect it to be the minimum.â
The Yankees called up a right-handed hitting infielder to fill the void, though opted to keep Anthony Volpe in Triple-A. They instead tapped Max Schuemann, allowing Volpe to remain in the starting lineup at second base.
Volpe has hit .239 with three home runs and nine RBIs since being sent down at the start of August. Boone said Volpe is “in the conversation” to return to the Bronx, but wasn’t right for this scenario.
âI think it made sense now, in this time, to bring Max,â Boone said.
Another Yankees Player Close to ReturningWhile McMahon will likely remain out until at least early September, the team could be close to getting another key player back on the field. Cody Bellinger said he was “itching” to get back after suffering a Grade 2 sprain of his left hamstring, and MLB.com noted that he is on track.
Bellinger had a rehab appearance for the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday, going hitless in three at-bats while playing six innings in the field.
âIâve been wanting to get back for a while,â Bellinger told reporters earlier in the week. âYou always want to be realistic, and for me, I want to come back and stay. You donât want to make anything worse. Iâm itching to get back, but Iâve got to continue to play it safe and make sure Iâm 100 percent ready.â
Like HEAVY's content?Be sure to follow us.
This article was originally published on HEAVY
The post New York Yankees’ Aaron Boone Makes Strong Statement on Ryan McMahon Injury appeared first on HEAVY.
Leave a Comment