Giro d'Italia champion Jonas Vingegaard will not race again this season following his crash at the Tour de France last month, his Visma-Lease a Bike team said in a statement on Monday.
"He is still experiencing the effects of the collarbone fracture he sustained in his crash in the Tour de France. As a result, it is not possible for him to work towards new racing goals for 2026 in the short term," the statement read.
The two-time Tour de France winner crashed during stage 15 on July 19 in an incident that ended his race. He will focus on "his recovery and training in the coming period," the team said.
Vingegaard didn't have any more race days officially planned after the Tour, but there was hope he would be back in action at the World Championships in Montreal in September.
"After a long and intense racing period, a recovery period was planned after the Tour de France anyway. Due to the collarbone injury, the start of my training has been delayed, and it is not possible for me to get back to top level in the coming period," Vingegaard said.
"The focus is on preparing optimally for the goals of the 2027 season. I will discuss these specific goals with the team in the coming period."
Leave a Comment