Search

Advertisement

Should Commanders pursue Steelers star if he were available?

Advertisement

The Washington Commanders had the rare opportunity to add a difference-making player in training camp earlier this month when they signed wide receiver Stefon Diggs. Top players are generally not available this late in the year unless there are questions. Whether it’s injuries, age, or off-field issues, there are reasons why good players can still be signed in August.

Diggs appears to be a big hit for the Commanders. But what if Washington could add another potential difference-maker? This one would cost significantly more, but it would be a player at your weakest defensive position. That player is Steelers cornerback Joey Porter Jr.

Remember the 2023 NFL Draft, when Porter was often projected to Washington in various mock drafts? Instead, Ron Rivera shocked everyone by passing over Christian Gonzalez and Porter to select Emmanuel Forbes with the No. 16 overall pick. Gonzalez has gone on to become one of the NFL’s best cornerbacks in three seasons, while Porter is off to a phenomenal start in his career.

So why has Porter’s name recently been floated in trade rumors? Pittsburgh hasn’t, but NFL insider Jordan Schultz says other teams have “wondered” whether the Steelers would part with Porter if the two sides can’t agree to a new long-term deal. Porter is now eligible for an extension and presumably wants to be paid like one of the NFL’s top cornerbacks.

#Steelers CB Joey Porter Jr. is a name multiple teams around the NFL have wondered about as a potential trade target, per sources.

JPJ is in the final year of his rookie contract, and with where the CB market is, teams have wondered if Pittsburgh could ultimately be open to a… pic.twitter.com/0t1CX9laOQ

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) August 21, 2026

If the Steelers made Porter available, he is the type of player Washington could and, perhaps should, pursue. Currently, Washington’s top three cornerbacks are Trey Amos, Mike Sainristil and Amik Robertson, with three players 30 and older battling for what is likely the final two cornerback spots. Amos has barely practiced all summer, although he’s expected back soon. Sainristil was phenomenal as a rookie, but struggled badly last season.

The Commanders believe an improved pass rush will help their cornerbacks. They are correct. And while the position may not be as much of a concern now as it was a month ago, questions remain.

Even if the Steelers were to listen to offers for Porter, Washington GM Adam Peters is unlikely to pay a premium trade price, either multiple picks or a first-round pick, and then have to pay top-five position money for Porter.

On Friday, one Steelers insider said Pittsburgh hasn’t received any calls on Porter and has no intention of trading him, barring “an insane offer.”

Everybody has a price. And it only takes one team to pay that price. Don't expect it to be Washington.

This article originally appeared on Commanders Wire: Should Commanders pursue Steelers star if he were available?

Source: Yahoo Sports

Advertisement

Comments (0)

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Comment