Search

Advertisement

Chivu: ‘Inter needed to get rid of the rust, Lautaro doesn’t need my help’

Advertisement
Chivu: ‘Inter needed to get rid of the rust, Lautaro doesn’t need my help’

Inter head coach Cristian Chivu says that his side needed 45 minutes to dust off the cobwebs in their first Serie A match of the season, but says that he is pleased with the ‘fluidity’ that he saw from his team in the second half of their 4-1 win over Monza on Saturday evening.

The Nerazzurri began their Serie A title defence with a statement 4-1 victory over newly-promoted Monza in San Siro thanks to goals from Hakan Calhanoglu, Piotr Zielinski, Pio Esposito and Yann Bisseck, Gustavo Varela providing the visitors’ only goal of the game.

You can see how the action unfolded on the Football Italia Liveblog.

Chivu reacts to Inter 4-1 Monza: ‘We have to give credit to Monza’

MILAN, ITALY – AUGUST 22: Cristian Chivu, Head Coach of Internazionale looks on before the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and AC Monza at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on August 22, 2026 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images)

Despite the final scoreline, there were a touch of nerves from the home side after Monza had equalised with a well-taken finish after half an hour. Chivu, speaking in his post-match interview with DAZN, says that getting the second goal early in the second half was the key to unlocking the match, though.

“We have to give credit to our opponents, who gave us some difficulty, we tried to follow the game plan and there was a bit of rust to get rid of. We found more fluidity in the second half thanks to the goal at the beginning, finding the move that we needed.”

Chivu was asked if he was pleased with the way that his players approached the game against Monza.

MILAN, ITALY – AUGUST 22: Francesco Pio Esposito of Internazionale celebrates scoring his team’s third goal with teammates during the Serie A match between FC Internazionale and AC Monza at Stadio Giuseppe Meazza on August 22, 2026 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Marco Luzzani/Getty Images)

He replied: “We always have to find the right solution, we have to try to do that with the players. The players who went to the World Cup made themselves available immediately, ahead of schedule even. That’s the most pleasing thing to see as a coach.”

Chivu also gave an update on the condition of centre-forward Marcus Thuram, who was not involved against Monza.

“He’s continuing to get ready,” the coach said. “He had a few problems at the World Cup and we all know that. He’s made himself available but isn’t in a position to get any minutes. He’s an intelligent guy and we’re both working hard so that he gets back to his best condition.”

Chivu also spoke about Lautaro Martinez, who had a disappointing end to his World Cup campaign with Argentina and has also been linked with a move to Barcelona over the last week.

“There are lots of situations that a coach must understand,” said Chivu. “We mustn’t forget his end to the World Cup. I try to see the human being first. I also try to help the players, even if Lautaro doesn’t need my help because he’s a part of Inter’s history and is a great guy.”

Source: Yahoo Sports

Advertisement

Comments (0)

Be the first to write a comment.

Leave a Comment