Freddy Rodriguez, who broke the Memphis baseball single-season stolen bases record and led the Tigers in hitting in 2026, has taken the NCAA to court in an effort to return to coach Matt Riser's team as a fifth-year senior in 2027.
And Rodriguez crossed a significant hurdle in that bid on Aug. 21.
Shelby County Chancery Court judge Melanie Taylor Jefferson granted a temporary restraining order for Rodriguez, according to court documents obtained by The Commercial Appeal. Rodriguez, who is being represented by Cordova-based law firm Jackson, Shields, Holt, Owen & Bryant, is one of the only Memphis athletes seeking legal injunctive relief to return to the Tigers. Former Memphis men's basketball players Zach Davis and Dug McDaniel were part of a group that was awarded a temporary injunction by a Tennessee state court on July 31 — but both are seeking to transfer.
Next up in Rodriguez's case, Taylor Jefferson will conduct a hearing on Sept. 10, to decide whether to issue a temporary injunction against the NCAA. If the court provides injunctive relief for Rodriguez, it would clear the way for him to return to the Tigers.
The University of Memphis declined comment. On Aug. 1, Memphis football coach Charles Huff told reporters the school's coaches were instructed by athletic department leadership that it was taking a "wait-and-see" approach.
"I know fans-wise, it's like, 'Oh, man, call every kid in the country,' you know," said Huff. "But we've still got some rules we've got to follow. We've still got to have guidance. Because we don't want to do something that comes back (after) game six or seven and says, 'Hey, because you did this in August, it's going to cost you.' "
Earlier on Aug. 21, prior to Taylor Jefferson's ruling, a federal appeals court in Colorado granted the NCAA's request for a stay in a case that previously had given a fifth year of college eligibility to all athletes who had graduated high school in 2022. The ruling in Colorado does not affect the temporary restraining order in Rodriguez's case.
In June, the NCAA adopted new rules eliminating redshirts and allowing all athletes five years of eligibility from the date of college enrollment, or from their 19th birthday, whichever is earlier. The NCAA did not grandfather in athletes who completed their fourth season in 2026 and did not utilize a redshirt, leading to lawsuits like Rodriguez's in multiple states.
Rodriguez's collegiate career began in 2023 at Division II Barry College (Florida), where he played two seasons. The Wellington, Florida, native spent his junior season at Coastal Carolina in 2025. Last season, Rodriguez led Memphis with a .300 batting average in 58 games (58 starts) as the team's regular third baseman. He also stole 45 bases, breaking the program's previous record of 39, and landed a spot on the American Conference All-Tournament team after hitting .529 (9-for-17) with four runs scored, two doubles, one home run and two RBIs in four postseason games.
The Tigers put up a 24-34 overall record last season. But they improved late, going 14-11 over their last 25 games. Memphis also finished 13-14 in American Conference play, its most league wins in a season since 2013.
Reach sports writer Jason Munz at jason.munz@commercialappeal.com, follow him @munzly on X.
This article originally appeared on Memphis Commercial Appeal: Judge grants temporary restraining order for Freddy Rodriguez, Memphis baseball's top hitter
Leave a Comment