Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after a drug test taken during an ATP event in Mallorca returned positive for a cocaine metabolite.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency announced the action on August 19, revealing that Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, on July 17.
Kyrgios addressed the news himself in a lengthy Instagram statement, saying he had made a “huge mistake” and was taking full responsibility. The 31-year-old also apologized to his family, fans, sponsors and younger followers, according to Just Jared's report on his statement.
The suspension arrives during an already difficult period for the former Wimbledon finalist, whose recent seasons have been repeatedly interrupted by injuries. Kyrgios said those physical setbacks and the possibility that his playing career may be nearing its end have also affected him mentally, while making clear that they do not excuse what happened.
Kyrgios Has Been Provisionally Suspended Since August 4 View this post on InstagramA post shared by BBC SPORT (@bbcsport)
The International Tennis Integrity Agency confirmed that Kyrgios' provisional suspension has been in effect since August 4. Cocaine is classified as both a stimulant and a substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.
The ITIA said a provisional suspension was mandatory because of the nature of the substance. The agency also confirmed that Kyrgios has the right to appeal the provisional suspension but had not done so as of its August 19 announcement.
While the suspension remains in place, Kyrgios cannot play in, coach at or attend events organized or sanctioned by World Tennis, the ATP, WTA, Grand Slams or national associations.
He Says Injuries Have Taken a Physical and Mental TollIn his statement, Kyrgios said he was not trying to excuse the positive test but wanted to explain the circumstances surrounding what he described as a difficult period in his life.
He said the past several years of injuries have taken an increasingly heavy physical and mental toll. His body, he explained, has no longer been able to meet the expectations he still has for himself, while accepting that he may be approaching the end of his career has been especially difficult.
Kyrgios reached the Wimbledon singles final in 2022, losing to Novak Djokovic, but wrist and knee problems have severely limited his schedule since then. He has undergone wrist reconstruction and knee surgery and missed the entire 2024 season.
Reuters reported that Kyrgios has played only 10 matches since the beginning of 2023. His most recent appearance came at Wimbledon earlier this year, when he partnered Alexander Bublik in doubles and lost in the opening round.
Kyrgios acknowledged that the uncertainty around his career has left him feeling helpless and isolated at times. Still, he explicitly separated that struggle from responsibility for the test, saying none of it excused what he had done.
The Length of Any Final Sanction Has Not Been AnnouncedThe ITIA has not announced the length of any eventual sanction, and the circumstances surrounding when the substance was used could affect the outcome. The ITIA specifically noted that reduced sanctions can apply to substances of abuse when they are taken out of competition. Cocaine falls within that category under WADA rules.
The Guardian reported that current rules provide for a three-month suspension in qualifying out-of-competition substance-of-abuse cases, with the possibility of reducing that period to one month if an athlete completes an approved rehabilitation program.
Kyrgios Is Stepping Away From Public Life for 28 DaysKyrgios called the situation a “wake-up call” and said he plans to step away from both social media and public life for 28 days while focusing on himself.
He also asked that his family's privacy be respected during that period and apologized again to the people affected by his actions. “I'm sorry. I'll do the work and come back better,” Kyrgios said.
Leave a Comment