Brazilian soccer icon Ronaldinho, who won the 2002 FIFA World Cup, 2006 UEFA Champions League, and the 2005 Ballon d’Or, has come out of retirement aged 46 to join Italian Serie C club Ravenna FC.
The stunning development was made official during a beach festival on Thursday, with the former Barcelona star a shareholder in the 113-year-old club, based in the tiny city along Italy’s eastern coastline, roughly equidistant from Bologna and San Marino.
During “Ronaldinho day,” the 97-time Brazilian international was asked when he might take to the field for Ravenna, and how he felt as a whole. “I'm very happy to be here with my friends, but let's wait and see if things go well with the team,” he replied, via ESPN.
- Wayne Rooney urges Man United to sign Arsenal star and sends Marcus Rashford warning
- FIFA fires executive after he called for embattled President Gianni Infantino to resign
“I feel fine,” going on to add, “I don't know, it depends on the president and coach. I don't know.”
Club President Ignazio Cipriani, who leads the ownership group, previously said of Ronaldinho, as per The Athletic, “This is not window dressing or a marketing stunt. Ronaldinho will become a shareholder in Ravenna FC — that is the central point of the operation.
“He has also chosen to make an extraordinary gift to the city and to his new club: he will take to the pitch for Ravenna in an official professional match, with one clear and romantic aim — to try to score the final goal of his career.”
Responding to Cipriani’s claim, Ronaldinho commented, “If that happens even better, no? I've come here because of the friendship we have, and that's it, let's wait and see how the team does ... I'm here to help.”
The oldest member of former Hellas Verona boss Andrea Mandorlini’s squad by a decade, Ronaldinho returns to the field having last played for Fluminense back in 2015. His stint with the club lasted a mere two months, making nine appearances before stepping aside.
To listen to the latest episode of 'All Out Soccer' - CLICK HERE
“Ronaldinho asked us for a meeting. He respectfully told us he didn't feel he was able to perform as good as he wanted and that it was a bad situation for him,” team sporting director Mario Bittencourt said at the time, according to Kickoff. “He asked us our opinion, we were straight with him and told him it wouldn't work for us, so we decided releasing him was the right thing to do.
“I don't feel that he lacked commitment and dedication to Fluminense, he's a player who is known worldwide. He made a great gesture in saying he wasn't being the player he felt he could be right now.”
Despite this unceremonious first ending to his playing career, what Ronaldinho will be remembered for is the almost two decades of magic that came before it.
Working his way into senior football via Grêmio, Ronaldinho went on to join Paris Saint-Germain before playing for Barcelona, AC Milan, Flamengo, Atlético Mineiro, and Querétaro.
A two-time FIFA World Player of the Year, Ronaldinho also scored 33 goals for his country, winning not only the World Cup but also the Copa América and the Confederations Cup.
Exactly when the 12,000-seater Bruno Benelli Stadium - or any Serie C ground for that matter - will first witness Ronaldinho take to the field remains to be seen. Ravenna are set to kick off their season at AC Reggiana 1919 on August 24 - a game he has already been ruled out of. Five days later, they will return home to host Latina Calcio 1932.
Leave a Comment