The Arizona Diamondbacks are still awaiting more word from All-Star second baseman Ketel Marte, who did not show up for the team's game in Boston on Monday night and was put on the restricted list.
Manager Torey Lovullo said the team was hoping Marte would arrive at the park before game time, but less than 15 minutes before first pitch, officials made the decision to replace Marte on the roster with Class AAA infielder José Fernández.
Outfielder Lars Nootbaar took Marte's place in the starting lineup as the designated hitter.
Lovullo said he was told Marte is dealing with a “personal issue.”
"That’s as much as I know right now," he said. "I’m sure in time we’ll start to uncover and unravel some information."
Where is Ketel Marte?Marte did travel from Atlanta to Boston on the team plane Sunday night. However, he did not show up at Fenway Park for Monday's game.
General manager Mike Hazen told the Arizona Republic, part of the USA TODAY Network, Marte was still in Boston, but he wasn't sure when the three-time All-Star would rejoin the team.
"It’s unfortunate he wasn’t there tonight," Hazen said. "I’ll leave it at that."
What did his teammates say about Ketel Marte?After the game, both Diamondbacks right fielder Corbin Carroll and shortstop Geraldo Perdomo sounded sympathetic to Marte and his situation.
"I mean, I think if anything you’re hoping he’s all right and just want to make sure everything is good there," Carroll said, according to the Arizona Republic. "Some of us who have maybe spent a little bit more time with him, maybe that was in the back of our minds a little bit. More just out of wanting to be there for the guy."
Said Perdomo: "Everybody has their own personal stuff. At the end of the day, we are a family and we’re going to support everybody no matter what. We came here to play, and that’s the only goal we have is to win some games."
Ketel Marte's absences from the DiamondbacksThis isn't the first time Marte has been placed on the restricted list for not showing up for games.
Last year, he missed two games following the All-Star break when he traveled to his native Dominican Republic after a burglary in his Scottsdale, Arizona, home.
The Diamondbacks put him on the restricted list for another game.
He apologized later for how he handled the situation.
Contributing: Nick Piecoro, Arizona Republic
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: What happened to Ketel Marte? What we know about Diamondbacks no-show.
Leave a Comment